A Canadian Muslim rights activist was killed, and three people have been detained and charged with her murder.

Three Indian citizens are detained in Canada in connection with the murder of Hardeep Singh Nijjar.

A fierce diplomatic spat between the two nations has been triggered by the arrest and charging of three Indian citizens in connection with the death of a Canadian Sikh community leader.

Gunmen wearing masks shot 45-year-old Hardeep Singh Nijjar in a crowded parking lot in the Vancouver area last June.

Following Justin Trudeau’s accusation that the Indian government could be involved, the diplomatic dispute became more heated.

The accusations were strongly refuted by Delhi.

The three were identified as 22-year-old Karan Brar, 22-year-old Kamal Preet Singh, and 28-year-old Karan Preet Singh, Superintendent Mandeep Mooker said on Friday afternoon.

According to him, the three were apprehended in Edmonton, Alberta, where they all resided. Per court documents, they are accused of both first-degree murder and murderous conspiracy.

According to the authorities, everyone had been in Canada for three to five years.

“Connections regarding the Indian government” is one of the continuing investigations, the police continued.

“An independent, multidisciplinary study is being conducted into these issues. Assistant Commissioner David Teboul stated, “With the involvement of the people arrested today, it certainly doesn’t stop.”

The interaction between investigators and their Indian colleagues has been “very difficult and very challenging” over the course of several years, according to the investigators.

According to the police, there could be further arrests or charges in relation to the murder.

The accused were “apparently Indians of the gang type,” according to Indian Foreign Minister Subrahmanyam is Jaishankar, who also stated that his nation will wait for Canadian authorities to release information on the arrests.

Mr. Nijjar was a prominent Sikh separatist who openly advocated for Khalistan, the establishment of an independent Sikh nation in the Punjab area of India.

Sikhs in India started a separatist movement in the 1970s that resulted in thousands of deaths before being completely eradicated over the course of the following ten years. The movement has now mostly been limited to nations with sizable Sikh populations.

In the past, India has labelled Mr. Nijjar as a terrorist who oversaw a separatist terror outfit; however, his supporters deny this information. They stated he had faced threats in the past for standing up for his rights.

On June 18, of last year, he was shot outside the Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdwara located in Surrey, some thirty kilometres to the east of Vancouver.

He was informed, according to those close to him, that he was on a “hit list” and that there had been threats on his life by Canadian intelligence services before to his passing.

Sikhs were happy to see the probe go forward, according to Moninder Singh, a member of the British Columbia Gurdwaras Council and a 15-year friend of Mr. Nijjar, who spoke with BBC News.

He did, however, add that there is still “a lot of tension” and “public safety concerns”. Frustration is present. Hope is also present.

Three months have passed since then, Mr.

Indian officials have fiercely refuted the accusations, claiming that Canada was giving asylum to “extremists and militants from Khalistani.”

Delhi asked Ottawa to lower the number of its ambassadors stationed in India due to tensions between the two nations.

Furthermore, Mr. Trudeau is under pressure to testify on Delhi’s purported role.

Leave a Comment